I know you are super confused about eating for health these days. Can I eat gluten? What about my carbs? Is too much protein bad for you?
You know what. No matter what you eat there will be someone who finds some kind of fault in it. We will never 100% agree about what a day’s worth of healthy eating looks like.
However as always, there are timeless nutritional principles that we should all follow to cover our bases. So, a day’s worth of healthy eating might be something like the following.
- Breakfast – fruit salad with greek yoghurt and mixed nuts and seeds + cup of green tea + cup of water
- Snack – 1 medium pear
- Lunch – Tuna sandwich with sliced tomato, greens, sliced cucumber and carrot – use pepper to taste
- Snack – 1 handful of almonds with a banana
- Dinner – Warm Mango Chicken salad - 1 small chicken breast, skin off - 60g salad mix (mix of salad leaves) - 1/2 small mango, sliced into wedges - 1/2 small avocado, sliced thinly - 1/4 cucumber, sliced thinly lengthways - 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved - 2 tablespoons finely sliced spring onion - 2 tablespoons mango chutney - 1 tablespoons balsamic vinegar - 2 teaspoons hot water -
- Instructions - Grill chicken breast on a preheated hot char grill or in a frying pan for 4-5 minutes each side. Wrap in foil and set aside.
- Combine the salad mix, mango, avocado, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, and spring onion and toss lightly to combine.
- Slice the chicken into thin slices and place on the salad.
- To serve, combine the mango chutney, balsamic vinegar and water and pour over the salad.
- Drinks – Herbal tea, coffee, water, fresh juices.
This day’s worth of health eating has us eating breakfast so we start the day off well. We have good sources of protein with our chicken and tuna. We have good sources of healthy fats such as avocado, greek yoghurt, nuts and seeds. We also have good waist friendly sources of carbs from our fruit and vegetables. Finally we get our fluids from water, herbal teas and coffee.
Is this too difficult to follow. I think not. Keep it simple. I love to eat bread so I have no problem fitting it into my eating without putting on weight. You can manage a day’s worth of health eating without having to be zen like in your habits.
I hope this helps. Here are some other days if you want some more ideas.