Basically, weight training is a term used to describe a form of exercise that forces our bodies to use our muscles against an opposing force usually represented by some piece of equipment. (Kraemer and fleck)
We can use boy weight exercises, rings, TRX, Kettlebells, weight training machines, dumbbells, barbells and bands.
Because of the popularity of weight training and programs like cross fit etc I thought I would highlight 10 ways that this type of training can help you and your body.
10 Ways Weight Training Can Help You And Your body
1. When you take part in regular weight training you will see increased health and fitness benefits such as increased strength, increased fat free mass (lean muscle), decreased body fat and improved physical performance on a day to day basis.
2. You will see other health benefits such as lower blood pressure, better insulin sensitivity which basically means your body can handle sugars better and will less likely be turned to fat.
3. Weight training can improve motor performance for example, the ability to sprint, throw and object or climb stairs and hills.
4. You can increase your maximum strength by lifting heavy and taking long rest periods and repeating. You can build up your endurance and stamina by performing longer sets and taking less rest. You can build up muscle by performing weight training with moderate reps and taking moderate rest. You can manipulate weight training any way you want to get the kind of strength or fitness you want.
5. If you want to improve a muscle specifically, the best way to do it is through weight training. You can target your arms for bigger guns, or your legs to shape them up, or your tummy and low back to strengthen your core.
6. You can increase your flexibility by training through a full range of motion thereby stretching the muscle as you are training.
7. By progressively overloading your training (adding little bits each week) you can accomplish many personal strength and fitness goals over time. This leads to a feeling of achievement and is very empowering.
8. You can balance your body by training pairs of muscle groups. If you do the front of your legs you can balance it out by training the back of the legs. The same goes for your core and arms or chest and back. With this type of weight training you will have a more balanced body and a more shapely body instead of having one part look bigger or leaner than another.
9. Cardiac muscles also undergo a transformation with regular weight training with improvements in blood flow and arterial thickness seen in subjects.
10. You can use multiple weight training techniques to prevent boredom and keep your exercise constantly challenging. This leads to ongoing improvements in your strength, the shape and look of your body and the overall healthy of your physique.
11. Weight training can help improve your posture. By training the muscles of your upper back you can achieve the effect of opening up your chest and pulling your shoulder blades back. This will help you be more upright instead of being hunched over all day. Because you now have a better posture you can breathe easier.
12. Weight training can improve your body image and mood. I have seen many people completely change their outlook on life for the better once they feel proud of their bodies. They usually find a partner, they increase their confidence and feel better in a crowed room or speaking in front of people.
Weight training is beneficial on so many levels. All my clients do some sort or weight training whether it be one to one personal training sessions or group training. I have witnessed many people change their body shape and their overall life because they fit into their clothes better, they had the confidence to take on new tasks, they could lift their kids now and play with them longer.
If you are afraid of weight training then go and ask a personal trainer or fitness professional to help you today. They love to show you what they are good at and you never know, you could due feeling like a million dollars soon enough.